Tuesday 15 December 2009

Eylesbarrow Aborted

It's not Everest I can assure you, but this was the second time an intended walk to Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (disused) has been called off mid-tramp. Given that I was accompanied only by Clover, the decision was down to me and me alone.

And the reason was that we started off at Norsworthy with the aim of testing a route that went along Deanscombe before crossing the Narrator and ascending the combe to turn roughly south towards the scout hut. Once there, I'd intended walking east along the main track to Eylesbarrow and then back via Combeshead Tor. However, given that it took half an hour to get to the Scout Hut and I only had another hour to spare, I decided to give the Tin Mine another miss.

Instead, Clover and I marched back along the road to Sheepstor before taking the right turn after the Church, skirting round Sheepstor itself and walking alongside the reservoir. A sensible enough decision given that the road afforded a better medium for walking fast, but not too sensible as it turn out since it took the remaining hour to get back to Norsworthy.

In place of anything substantive, here's Clover looking rather suspicious:



And here's the view from the vicinity of the Scout Hut looking back towards the descent into Deanscomb:



Needless to say the walk through the combe and out of it was a moist experience; the white misty stuff above the land was indeed white misty stuff which is manifested as rain when you're inside it. Thankfully there was no wind to speak of so the Andy Pandy Jacket (APJ) served its purpose.

If only I'd been wearing gaiters!

No comments:

Post a Comment